Location of Spud Point Crab Company, Bodega Bay
Driving directions from Hwy. 101 in Petaluma, CA to 1860 Westshore Rd, Bodega Bay, CA 94923
- ° Head northwest on Petaluma Blvd S toward D St 0.2 mi
- ° Turn left onto Western Ave 0.2 mi
- ° Turn right onto Howard St 0.1 mi
- ° Slight left onto Bodega Ave 8.1 mi
- ° Continue onto Valley Ford Rd 10.4 mi
- ° Continue onto CA-1 N/Valley Ford Cutoff Continue to follow CA-1 N 8.5 mi
- ° Turn left onto Eastshore Rd 0.3 mi
- ° Take the 1st right onto Bay Flat Rd 0.3 mi
- ° Continue onto Westshore Rd Destination will be on the left 0.8 mi
Bring your binoculars! There are few places where such a variety of birds can be seen at reasonably close range and mostly in winter. On weekends and vacation periods, roads and parking areas can be crowded, but during the week in winter you can have the place almost to yourself, and that is when the birds are at their best. The Great Blue Heron (right) was sound asleep on a post in Bodega Bay within feet of the shoreline during a drive to Spud Point Crab Company.
Best times: August-November for most pelagic birds. Most waterfowl are present from November to April. Most species of shorebirds are here August-March.